Extreme weather is disruptive and dangerous and can occur at any time of the year. For homeowners looking to prepare for when the power goes out, it's always a good time to explore the options of solar and energy storage, aka. battery backup.
Solar energy paired with a battery backup can provide a self-generated resource to get through an extended grid outage if you have an energy storage system in place backing you up.
Life gets stressful when a storm is moving in. With solar + storage, you can have peace of mind that important electric systems in your home will stay on:
- Lights and outlets
- Well pump and/or sump pump
- Gas Furnace Blower
Energy storage helps make the most of solar all year
Even when the grid is up, integrating a battery system with your solar means:
- 24/7 use of your own renewable energy, instead of consuming grid energy from a mix of resources at night.
- Enhanced self-sufficiency and energy autonomy
- The 30% Federal tax credit that applies to solar now extends to battery backup system purchases for storing solar
The primary cause of power outages on the grid is severe weather. The batteries Ipsun use have a Storm Watch feature that automatically activates when the National Weather Service issues a severe weather alert. This mode charges the battery to its maximum capacity, allowing it to provide backup power during the storm.
And during a power outage, there are benefits that only storing electricity in a home battery can offer:
- No more concerns about the supply of natural gas or how much propane you have left in the tank, or dealing with the noise, smell, or maintenance of a fossil-fuel generator.
- Instantaneous power from the battery system, unlike a generator that requires 15-20 seconds to start up.
- Unlike a generator, there is no ongoing maintenance needed for a battery system.
We're on hand to answer whatever questions you have about the state of energy storage technology, and availability. Ipsun Solar looks forward to exploring battery backup with you and determining what configuration of battery backup system is recommended at your location.
For more detail about what batteries can do and how they would work on your home check out these:
Battery Backup Basics: Your top six questions about home battery storage
Editor's note: This post was originally published in 2018 and has been completely updated and revamped for accuracy and comprehensiveness.